What is a GM/EO?
A Game Master or GM is the person who is running a scheduled game. The GM is also the person who will explain the rules to those who have never played the game and be available to answer questions about the game.
The Event Organizer or EO is a person who is organizing a larger event, such as a tournament. The EO may or may not work with GMS depending on the event format. Generally, an EO will not be GM during the event they are running.
What will GM/Event Organizers do at Storm-Con?
GMs will be the person running the game and interacting with the players. They are the “go to” person for the game they′re running. They will answer player′s questions and teach the game to new players.
EOs will be the focal point for organizing a larger event such as a tournament. They will formally submit a request to the Storm-Con staff to get their event approved. They will set the parameters and guidelines for the event and work with the Storm-Con staff to make it as successful as possible. They will assist all GMs who are running tables during their event. In the event of a disagreement between the Player and GM, and they cannot come to an agreement, then EOs will have final say in the decision.
How will Storm-Con support the GM/EOs?
Storm-Con will support GMs and EOs by promoting their games and events through a variety of outlets. Storm-Con will work with GMs and EOs to obtain needed materials, swag, and prize support when and where possible. Storm-Con will make every effort to mitigate scheduling conflicts.
Is there a cost to run games at Storm-Con?
In general, there are no costs associated with running games or events at Storm-Con.
In the event that product needs to be purchased to run a game or event, there may be an additional entry fee for participants, but not for GMs and EOs.
I want to run a game/event at Storm-Con, how do I submit my game/event for consideration?
It is very easy, fill out the GM Applicationv1.0 and email it back to us. We will review your application and notify you by email if we have accepted any/all of your games for the 2014 schedule. The application is a fillable PDF for you convenience.
How will I be notified if my game/event submission as accepted?
We will contact you through the email address that has been provided to us. We may also contact you before final approval if there are any additional questions.
GM/EO Code of Conduct
In our efforts to provide a fun and positive convention experience, we hold our GM/EOs to the highest standards. If you are considering being a GM or EO for Storm-Con, then we ask that you read the following thoroughly and ask any questions if you are unclear about any policies.
- Arrive early to set up your table or event area
- Always remain polite and courteous
- Introduce yourself to the players
- Treat everyone with respect
- Make yourself available to answer questions about the game/event you’re running
- Allow the first 10 minutes of your time slot for players to sign-in and get settled
- Begin your game no later than 10 minutes after the official start time
- Try to finish your game by the end of the time slot
- If any players or participants are being rude, using profanity, or disrupting the game/event, ask them once to stop. If they persist, inform a staff member.
- If you were provided with products or materials by the Storm-con or the publisher on behalf of Storm-con, you agree to NOT use them prior to Storm-Con. After Storm-Con they are yours to keep unless they are the explicit property of Storm-Con
- If I need to cancel one or more of my games I will notify Storm-Con Staff immediately. I understand that my compensation will be adjusted accordingly.
GM/EOs that cannot or will not abide by this Code of Conduct may not be considered for future events.
As a GM/EO, can I qualify for a complimentary badge for Strom-Con?
Our policy is very simple. For every approved four (4) hour RPG session you GM or event you run, your registration will reduced/refunded by a third. Therefore if you have pre-registered and have received approval to run three sessions then your admission is free for the duration of the convention. This is our “GM 3 and Free” Policy. This policy specifically applies to RPGs and miniatures based tournaments.
For those interested in running or organizing a boardgame-based session(s), you will need to submit a GM Application as well to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and consideration. Approved boardgame sessions will apply towards the 3 and Free policy. Anything less than three approved boardgame sessions will apply towards a reduced/refunded registration.
Updated: 9 September 2013